The Trades House of Glasgow was founded to represent the interests of the craftsmen
- February 6, 1605
The Trades House of Glasgow is one of the oldest organizations in the city of Glasgow, Scotland, and it was indeed founded to represent the interests of craftsmen. The Trades House was established in 1605, and its primary purpose was to oversee and regulate the various craft guilds and trades within Glasgow.
During its early history, the Trades House played a crucial role in maintaining standards of craftsmanship and ensuring fair competition among the different trades and crafts. It provided a forum for craftsmen to come together, discuss their concerns, and establish rules and regulations for their respective industries.
The Trades House also had a charitable aspect to its mission, and it began providing support to its members and their families in times of need. Over the centuries, it expanded its charitable activities to benefit the wider Glasgow community through education, housing, and other philanthropic initiatives.
Today, the Trades House of Glasgow continues to exist as a charitable and social organization, although its role in regulating the various trades has diminished with time. It continues to support education and charitable causes in the city, while also maintaining its historic traditions and connections to the craftspeople of Glasgow.