Samhain - Halloween.
Oíche Shamhna - Cetlic New Year Eve (Halloween)
In Scotland and Ireland, Halloween is known as Oíche Shamhna, while in Wales it is Nos Calan Gaeaf, the eve of the winter's calend, or first. With the rise of Christianity, Samhain was changed to Hallowmas, or All Saints' Day, to commemorate the sou
What else happened today on October 31
- October 31, 1641
- The Ulster rebels take Dundalk
- October 31, 1804
- Morgan O'Connell, soldier and politician, is born in Dublin
- October 31, 1838
- General Sir William Frances Butler, soldier and author, is born in Suirville, Co. Tipperary. He had a remarkable and often controversial military career spanning over 50 years. During the Land War he became a great personal friend of Charles Stewart Parne
- October 31, 1845
- A committee is formed to examine the extent of the potato crop failure and suggest remedies
- October 31, 1883
- Birth of Sara Allgood, stage and Hollywood actress, in Dublin. Considered one of the greatest character actresses of her time, the crowning point of her career came with her nomination for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress in "How Green Was My
- October 31, 1888
- Pneumatic bicycle tires were patented by inventor John Boyd Dunlop from Ayrshire.
- October 31, 1903
- Hampden Park stadium opened in Glasgow as the home of Queen's Park Football Club.
- October 31, 1930
- Birth of Michael Collins, an Irish American born in Rome, and pilot of the command module of the Apollo 10 lunar landing in 1969