Alexander Graham Bell.
March 3, 1847
Alexander Graham Bell - Scottish Inventor of telephone - born
Alexander Graham Bell was born in Edinburgh, Scotland.
What else happened today on March 3
- March 3, 1592
- A charter incorporates the College of the Holy and Undivided Trinity, near Dublin, later to become known as Trinity College
- March 3, 1746
- Bonnie Prince Charlie occupies Castle of Inverness
- March 3, 1766
- Four pirates are found guilty in Dublin of murdering on the high seas Captain Cochrane, Captain Glass and others, and of plundering and scuttling the Lord Sandwich; they are executed in St Stephen's Green on this date and later hanged in chains near the L
- March 3, 1792
- Robert Adam, Scottish architect, died.
- March 3, 1831
- In the 'tithe war', 120 police move in to Graiguenamanagh to seize cattle in payment of the tithe